The UnAustralian

Sunday, March 09, 2003
 
How I Could Support the War

It shouldn't be any surprise to anyone that I don't support a war in Iraq. However, I've been doing some thinking on what would make me change my opposition to an invasion of Iraq.

Basically, I think that a incredibly strong case can be made for an invasion on humanitarian grounds (most of the other reasons given strike me as a bunch of BS), however I don't trust Bush and co. to do a good job in the reconstruction. This is more important as it sounds, as a badly done post-war Iraq could well be worse than Saddam's Iraq. Another fear is the US economy, if the deficits start to mount, how willing will the administration be to pour money into Iraq.

So with this in mind, I've thought up a few scenarios which would help change my opposition to a war on Iraq.

* The US starts to do a decent job in reconstructing Afghanistan as a modern state (not a central government which controls a few cities, well the provinces are ruled by warlords).

* A very different US President than Bush is sitting in the Whitehouse.

* A significantly detailed plan for post war Iraq is released, with funding commitments.


| 5:04 PM