The UnAustralian

Thursday, March 27, 2003
 
Ideology vs. Reality

There is a interesting comment on CalPundit on Robert Fisk, and how people interpret his remarks. In this case, a blogger took Fisk to court for comparing Saddam to Stalin. Apparently, Fisk sees the comparison as "praise for Saddam". I've read the article and I can't see how this comparison can be seen as praise.

But this leads be onto the main point of this blog. How much does ideology colour peoples perception of reality?

I started thinking about this a while ago, when several bloggers went on about bias in media watch and cited a show where they laid into John Pilger. Sorry, this isn't evidence of a bias (at least not a left wing one), no matter how much Bargarz wishes it was.

Another example I've come across is when a Biblically inclined supporter of the death penalty cited Matthew 5:38 (eye for an eye and all that) as evidence for Jesus's support for the death penalty. The verse (I'm including the next few as well) reads:

Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth:
But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also. And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloak also.


Doesn't strike me as that supportive of "an eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth", but each unto their own.

I've tried to not to let my own feelings get in the way of reality when I write, but like every other mortal, I'm only human.
| 11:20 PM