The UnAustralian

Wednesday, April 02, 2003
 
John Daly

It's been a while since I emailed John Daly about his article on the Mann paper (archive), and he hasn't replied, so I'll try him again.

Dear Mr Daly,

I emailed you almost two weeks ago regarding your article "The Hockey Stick: A New Low in Climate Science", however as I haven't received a reply, I assume that either my email, or your reply has somehow got lost.

Here is the text of my original email:

"I have recently read your article "The Hockey Stick: A New Low in Climate Science", and there are some matters which concern me.

In the article, you make several claims:

"Using tree rings as a basis for assessing past temperature changes back to the year 1,000 AD, supplemented by other proxies from more recent centuries, Mann completely redrew the history, turning the Medieval Warm Period and Little Ice Age into non-events, consigned to a kind of Orwellian `memory hole'..."

"At that point, Mann completed the coup and crudely grafted the surface temperature record of the 20th century (shown in red and itself largely the product of urban heat islands) onto the pre-1900 tree ring record."

Both of which are untrue according to the paper which Mann and coworkers published in 1999 (several ice-core proxies were used, the MWP and LIA were specifically noted, and the surface temperature record was not grafted onto the tree-ring record (which extends past 1900)).

My immediate guess is that your article was written with only the Mann paper abstract and the graph which you republish in your report. I was wondering if you could please comment on your source of information on the Mann paper, and any subsequent thoughts on the Mann reconstruction of past temperatures.

Thank you for your time,

Ken Miles"

Once again, I must thank you for your time,

Yours sincerely,

Ken Miles

| 7:32 PM