The UnAustralian

Thursday, April 10, 2003
 
Ned Kelly

This review of the movie "Ned Kelly" is hard to write, as I quite enjoyed the movie, but I'm about to bag it out.

Ned Kelly is one of those movies that I would love to like. But it's just too hard to. The scenery is great, the acting pretty good, and the plot fast moving. But it's got a number of flaws that really let it down. Watching it, you would assume that Ned was about the most hard done by person in history, now I'm no historian, but I'm pretty sure that it wasn't so one sided (perhaps either Mohammed Saeed al-Sahhaf or Keith Windschuttle were script writers). The film's historical accuracy can be most generously described as imaginative (check out the last fire-fight, and the number of cops that the gang take down). And there were those odd little flaws that just plain annoy me (people trudging through muddy roads when the side of the road is far drier, everything that Naomi Watts character does, that sort of thing).

However, all of this aside, if you pretend that there was no such person as Ned Kelly in real life, it's quite a good movie.


| 6:58 PM