The UnAustralian

Saturday, August 30, 2003
 
Yeah, Baby, Yeah

I've finally got my hands on a copy of Whitewash: On Keith Windschuttle's Fabrication of Aboriginal History.

The first section by James Boyce is great. Windschuttle is taking hit's left, right and centre. Boyce's article is a generally overview of Windschuttle's thesis, and he's killing it. Perhaps his most important point, is that Windschuttle has ignored virtually all of the diaries and private letters of the times (where illegal killings were far more likely to be mentioned, than in the official records). Boyce, has some examples of various unpublished works which are very suggestive of conflict Aborigines and settlers. For example, Adam Amos wrote in 1824:

I had a hunt after the natives on Friday they appeared above my plain. The boys and me set after them, when we came up to their fires they were gone across the river. We followed them for two hours and found them on a marsh about two miles from my farm on the east side. About 30 men. We fired they run away and left their dogs and spears which we destroy and brought some of them home and two dogs.

This should be a good read.
| 11:41 AM