The UnAustralian

Thursday, February 12, 2004
 
The Schneider Quote Redux

In a long article titled "Mediarology", Steven Schneider writes an interest piece on science and media. He talks about his infamous quote.

I've never seen what the big deal about the quote is. Reading the whole thing, it's obviously about scientific communication, and how to get a message across to the media. It's really quite hard to explain difficult scientific concepts. I still can't explain properly to my parents what I do for a living, and unlike a scientist talking to the press, I don't have 20 seconds to explain everything.

I've have a lot more respect for those who use the quote, if they provided actual examples of Schneider's "scary stories" and how they contradict the scientific literature.

And don't even get me started on the dishonest misrepresentations that comes out of the skeptics camp. Pat Michael, I'm looking at you.
| 5:43 PM